Sunday, February 17, 2013

Book Review: Can't and Able: An Inspirational Story by Cynthia Fabian

Title: Can't and Able: An Inspirational Story
Author: Cynthia Fabian
Illustrator: Daniel Stevens
Publisher: Strategic Book Publishing
Date of Publication: Dec. 20, 2012
Source: received from author for honest review
Website: http://sbpra.com/cynthiafabian/
Get your own at: Barnes & Noble | Amazon |





Goodreads Summary:

What does it feel like when you just can't do what the other kids, I mean stars, do? Can't kept trying, but he never seemed to shine as brightly as the other stars, and was always teased and bullied by others. Can't feels that he is less than the other stars and just cannot shine. It wasn't until Can't realized he Can, that everything changed for him. Find out how Can't became a hero and ultimately became Can. Able is the star who had it all. Able helps Can't to realize that he can really shine. Connect with Can't, Able, and all the stars that live in their neighborhood and beyond in the star-studded children's book Can't and Able: An Inspirational Story. The colorful artwork by Daniel Stevens creates beauty and fun throughout the universe. And as we all know, the star is the limit! Originally from New York City, Cynthia Fabian now enjoys meditation and the quiet life in Somerset, New Jersey. "I grew up with a disorder. I always felt like I could not shine, just like Can't. When I became a teacher, I saw many children that were experiencing the same difficulties. They were teased and often felt smaller. This book is for all of you, struggling and not knowing how to change your circumstances. If you simply believe, you can change your own circumstances. Believe in yourself and you will see the wonders of change are in your power." Publisher's website: http: //sbpra.com/CynthiaFabian

Mom's Thoughts:

What a beautiful and promising story for children and adults alike!!  The illustrations, the sweet characters, and the inspiring plot come together to bring us a wonderful story about a little star that learns to shine as bright as he can, just being himself.
The pictures are bright and happy, keeping my youngest child as well as my oldest ones interested throughout the whole story.
Even though this story is about a star we can all learn from what Can't goes through with his fellow stars as well as learning to believe in himself.    The issues portrayed in the story can be helpful for young adults just like the small kids too.  We all go through some type of bullying; dealing with our peers isn't the easiest thing to do but we see how Can't is able to get through it being different from the other brighter stars.
Another issue we are faced with that is discussed in the book is confidence.  I, myself, still find it hard to get my confidence where it needs to be to do the things I want to do-like writing.  I see this same problem in my son, and he was excited about the book enough he wanted to help with the review.
I was very impressed with this story and love how the message teaches children how to cope with teasing and still embrace the beauty in being different from others.
I think any parent could use this helping tool to show their own kids how they can go from thinking of themselves as a "Can't" to a "Can"!
*****

Conner's Thoughts- 9 yrs old
I learned a lot from my Mom.  But this story, Can't and Able, helped a little too.  It's okay for kids to be different.  For me that is really important because I am a twin so I can really enjoy being different.  Mom always says being different is fun because if everyone were the same it would get really boring.  Well it is never boring out our house!
I really liked how Can't knew he couldn't shine as bright as the other stars, but he still did the right thing when Able was in trouble.  Just because they were mean, didn't mean that Can't had to be that way too.
Another reason I liked this book a lot was because the characters are stars.  They look like really friendly stars too.  I thought it was pretty cool because my parents are always telling my brothers and me that we should always reach for the stars.  Oh and never say you can't do something; but instead always say "I can!" Now I am starting to understand why that is now.
Great story!
*****

No comments:

Post a Comment